Monday, October 30, 2006

This must be Texas

Walking the Dallas terminal looking for gate A34, I wondered why I should feel like I was in special state of the USA. Somehow Texas and Texans always seem different, distant, blunt, big. It's something unexplainable, but somehow this day I felt engulfed and yet free... in a state I rarely visit.

As I put my hands under the restroom sink's water sensor, the thing sent water gushing out in a big way, immediately splashing me, the surrounding area, and the mirror. "stupid faucet" I thought, what's wrong with this thing? I tried again - same deal. That's a lot more water than I asked for. "This must be Texas". It comes fast and hard, there's no in-between, it's all or nothing... fast and hard!

Anticipating a wait and nothing more than a silly $4 snack pack on the plane, I decided that a beef burrito would be the thing. The overweight guy manning the counter greated me as he methodically squashed ants with a handful of napkins. "They like the soda machines at this airport", he said. Not satisfied with the progress he was making, he used his bare hand, squashed some more, and finally swept them off the counter.

I ordered and watched him head into the back to make the burrito for me and another customer. I had to believe he washed his hands when I wasn't looking.

Waiting there for a moment I wanted to lean against the metal handrail... trouble is, it was 5 foot tall with a 3 foot middle section. I figured the lower rung was for their 1st graders and the upper bar was purely insulting serving no more than to clang one's head. I'm not going to raise my hands to head level for a hand rail. This must be Texas.

The burrito ... outstanding. Ants or no.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my! I laughed to think of you standing there watching the guy smash ants with his bare hands before preparing your food! I am not sure I would have been able to eat it but I supose it would have depended on how hungry I was. I don't have very good memories of TX but I hear it has some wonderful places so I guess one day I will have to give it another try.

Ruth said...

Texas! Always wanted to go there... give us a travelogue, would you? :) As for the ants, that's standard fast-food across the continent. I worked in a fastfood restaurant once --about four hours in total.