Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Better to get a truck then walk?

I felt like walking when I let a pedestrian cross the road, then drove a couple miles and he walked past. After a day of maxing my driving abilities just staying on the road and avoiding weird, out of control drivers, I'm thinking a new Dodge pickup truck sounds like a good thing, just like a hot chocolate does these chilly days. This comes after spending what seemed like hours and hours reading license plate sayings and bumperstickers.

I hold some respect for this snow induced highway ice. Heading southbound on 405 at 1 mph, wondering why northbound traffic disappeared, and a cop drives the wrong way down the empty highway, makes one wonder. Until you see someone get out of their car with a hammer and chop at the ice behind their rear tire. I stopped and slide sideways within inches of the car beside me, yet managed to get straightened when the traffic gave room. I saw easily more than 200 cars and buses off the road. Heading down the mild hill explained why Northbound traffic was stopped. They couldn't drive up! These conditions persisted in various ways from Bellingham clear to Renton.

Ok, now why did I say Dodge truck? For me, the choice is clear :)

1. Ford may be an ok truck, but the radio ads make it clear. The dealers call in so often dedicating a whole 30 seconds or more to how they need to move all those vehicles off the lot! If they are so bad, why sell them to the public? Jeepers. I want something that is going to serve me well, not that just needs to moved off the lot!

2. Chevy trucks are for boys.

3. The latest model Toyotas are too cute with curvy Japanese lines.

4. Men are not allowed to drive Hummers. They are for women with furs.

5. Honda must have something, but the Oddessy makes them unreal.

6. The Chevy HHR armored car needs more window area for visibility, from my experience.

7. The PT cruiser is for display only. I could see having one on my desk at work.

8. You have to be nearing retirement from your bread truck job to afford a new stock Mustang. It's cool just because it's "got the old look".

9. I don't hold an opinion on SUV's. They are unnatractive.

If I had to buy a truck today it would be a new Dodge. They get the job done and they're comfy.

Nonetheless, as soon as winter's over, the truck fantasy will vanish, and I will return to my pursuit of class over clumsy with BMW or Audi.

Comments inevitable.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

From your description, I'm picturing five consecutive days of heavy snowfall. How much did you guys actually get?
Right on about the automotive diagnosis! Big uglies like Hummers or SUVs are for people to prove they've got more in their pockets than in their heads (and that's before consideration of emissions.)

Crystal said...

Well of course I don't agree with you about the "The latest model Toyotas are too cute with curvy Japanese lines." But what did you expect! On the other hand I must tell you that unless you get a 4x4, have weight in the back and a set of chains a truck is pretty useless. Mine usually does ok when I have weight in the back but this snow came before i got to any of that so it has been slideing around a fair bit. On the otherhand, the best car i ever had in the snow was a little Chevy Sprint, sewing machine on wheels, but front wheel drive and could go just about anywhere as long as the snow wasn't too deep.

Anna said...

I drive a Dodge. But it is a car. For a truck I do like the Chevys. Tell me, why do you think they are for boys??? I'm confused.