Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Losing Cards

You stand to lose a lot of money at this game. Here's how it happened.

Thursday evening at 5pm i arrived at Chicago O'Hare airport from Seattle. My final destination was Grand Rapids, MI, however so I rented an Impala for the 4 hour drive around the lower part of lake Michigan.

Over an hour into the drive traffic was slow and I was hungry. So I stopped for a bit at an "Oasis" - those bridgelike structures over the highway that offer food and fuel as a quick stop. The traffic was simply horrible - 3 miles in 20 minutes. After another 2 hrs and about half way to my destination, the thought of a nice Macchiato or other Starbucks special got lodged in my mind, so I used my best instincts to quickly locate one a few miles off the highway.

Here's where the fun began. I reached in my back pocket for my card holder. It was gone. A quick search of every pocket was futile. I searched them over and over trying to convince myself I just wasn't quite all there. No use. A thorough search of the car revealed nothing as well.

Yes, now I remembered where I'd left it... sure, it was at that restaurant... oh, that's 2 hours in the opposite direction and it's 9pm. I had looked at the guy in line behind me - was he the type that would report it? i didn't think so. Maybe. Would the cashier have found it first? not likely. 3 credit cards, a debit card, starbucks card, and more - and this is I-294 in Chicago.

Ok, I don't have much cash with me, and this is a fine way to start out. I'll just get online somehow, place my cards on hold, and find the restaurant phone number. Next challenge, Starbucks has internet but I can't pay for it. The Starbucks manager kindly wrote directions backtracking to a Panera Bread. They have free internet. 20 minutes later I walked in the door at Panera. The manager appeared and rudely said they were closing and don't like loiterers. I briefly explained the urgent matter and even offered to pay him for the trouble. He simply said, "Ok, get it done and get out." Amazingly I was able to find all the numbers in a few minutes, stepped outside and made all the phone calls to place the cards on hold. The restaurant never answered though.

With that done, I decided to forget about it until the next morning and just drive the 2.5 hrs remaining. I finally arrived in GR at 1:30am.

....

Next morning. I made one more search of the car beforing I would phone the restaurant. I opened the car door, glanced around a bit and immediately noticed the card holder right in plain sight. How it completely escaped my search of the previous evening was baffling. It was simply a miracle - or so i felt. 20 minutes later I released all the cards again and everything was back to normal. What a relief.

I might not have lost a cent here, but just wait until you here the rest of the story.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh my what an experience. I am thankful you found the cards the next morning...I haven't always been so lucky.

Please don't keep us waiting for too long for the rest of the story!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.