Sunday, November 06, 2005

This is the Day

I had my doubts about going to the 6 hour lecture. A new acquaintance in Renton invited a supposedly well-known Australian authority on Bible translations to his home for an all day lecture. Being a controversial topic and seeing that the more I have read on it, the greater the controversy, I was at first hesitant to go. But being curious and always eager to learn something new I immediately committed. Besides, how could I miss my favourite Aussie accent? At least that part would sing.

The rather up-in-years Les Garrett commenced with a little background on his life and work. We were immediately surprised to hear that he was the author of "This is the Day", a classic song. He's been a pastor for 28 years and has retired and been travelling, preaching, and lecturing on Bible translation. ......to be cont.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

I just listened to a couple of radio programs about this very topic last week so I am interested to hear the rest of this story. I love that song to but I never knew where it came from...very interesting.

Nice to know that there is someone else out there who loves the Aussi accent. As a girl I always said I was going to hold out and marry someone from there! Silly girlhood dreams but I still love the accent!

Emmy said...

I thought that song was ancient :) Never realized the author was still living. Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

Nathan said...

Please, please: do continue!

Crystal said...

so when do we get part two??? after Christmas? JK...waiting patiently. :-)